As most of you know, J spent the last year and a half of his life 'tweaking' his new love....cooking. While cleaning out the kitchen cabinets earlier this year, I found about 50 recipes that J tried out on us. Some of them are printed from a website and some of them in his handwriting. This recipe is the first one J tried out on us....every time he made this for us he, of course, tweaked it to be better than the last and it quickly became a FAVE in our house. No wonder I weighed about a hundred pounds more then than I do now....weird.
www.allrecipes.com is where this recipe came from....
Cheesy Potato Soup II
Ingredients
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onions (J used scallions)
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
4 cups of water
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
15 slices American cheese - broken into pieces (J used half a brick of Velveeta)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/3 cups milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (J did not use this)
Directions
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions and celery in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
2. Stir in the water and potatoes, bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
3. In a separate small bowl, combine the flour and the mile and stir well until the flour is mostly dissolved. Pour this into the soup slowly, stirring constantly, until the soup has thickened, about 5 minutes.
I don't know how many variations of this soup we had, must have been a lot, but this is where he started from....us girls didn't like some of the things he tried but we ate them anyway because you couldn't look at his proud face and not at least TRY it. A lot of times, he made 2 dinners, one for us and one for the girls. It was never a cereal night while he was cooking up a storm, you ate what was put in front of you. Thank God he didn't reach out to Liver and Onions, I would have surely starved that night :)
Enjoy and thanks for checking in :)
L
5 comments:
THANK YOU LESA..THANK YOU LESA..A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU.
JEFF IS SMILING DOWN ON YOU FROM HIS "SHINING STAR" WITH GREAT HAPPINESS FOR SHARING HIS LOVE FOR COOKING FOR HIS "FAM".
LOVE YOU SO MUCH,
DEB
This is one strange thing...your Dad went to the dentist for a couple of fillings on Monday afternoon, so I thought I'll make some potato soup, which by the way I haven't made in a very long time. I brought you over what was left yesterday and you said, "Did you use Jeff's recipe I placed on the blog". No I hadn't even read your blog. Weird is all I am going to say!
'Someone' must have given you a nudge to make this...jus' sayin'.
oh yes. These comments gave me goose bumps. Co-incidence . . . or more?
This looks Delicious ---And I'm not so sure it was a co-incidence either.
But Grandmas Austin's potato soup had egg dumplings---yum.---Aunt Deb
Post a Comment