Friday, February 12, 2010

Diary of a 'first time' quitter - day 5

Whoa...what a week this as been! I'm not gonna lie, it's been TOUGH!! Tuesday night mom drove me to the ER for a severe pain I was having in my right side, I'm tough but this pain brought me to my knees. After several vials of blood, after I peed in a cup and after xrays, an ultra sound and a CT it was concluded that I was constipated. Really?? An Austin constipated, not possible. But I accepted their diagnosis and was home by 2a on Wednesday morning. I stayed home Wednesday and let the meds work their magic (kinda) and was back in the ER on Thursday with the SAME pain and not a lot of 'pooping'. After another xray, it was determined that I had chest wall inflammation...okkkaaaayy. So, Thursday home with some good inflammatory drugs.

All of this would put stress on anyone...the not knowing and the pain. But for a newly decided 'non' smoker, I was freaking out. So, when I tell you I slipped a little, please don't be hatin' on me. Believe me when I tell you I beat myself up over the slip, no one elses 'beat down' could be worse than my own, and I feel like a failure because of it. For the record, the cigs (yes, plural) I had made me sick and tasted like ass....but I'm incapable of lying to anyone....so here I am ratting myself out.

I'm back on track...and it's going well, only because I did slip and proved to myself what a NASTY tasting habit it is.....bare with me, I knew it would be hard and I knew I would slip up, but no more....

Thanks for checking in :)

L

5 comments:

Nance said...

I enjoyed your story. So what? You slipped up with the cigs -- with that pain and meds and not knowing what was going on, who could blame you? You are going to be okay; you are determined and will quit smoking. The part that strikes closest to home for me is, as an Austin, we do something clumsy or embarrassing or uncomfortable . . . we don't just file that away in our memory banks and let it go but we feel compelled to tell it as a funny story. Why do we do that?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I agree Nance ---why as Austins are we complelled to tell our stories???? I do that too!!! Lesa----it is not unusual to slip and with all the stress of the week who can blame you ---BUT you didn't enjoy it and now you are back on track and will master it!!!! (((hugs))) hope you are feeling better. ----one of your cousins was told by a nurse once "you are full of poop" so it can happen., but now that they found the chest wall problem hopefully you are on the way to recovery!!!! love Aunt Debb

Nance said...

Nurse Debb, can you tell me why/how a chest wall infection might be diagnosed as constipation?

Lesa, you go girl! Every day is a new day when it comes to quitting smoking. Don't look back!

Anonymous said...

You go girl..you can do it!!
Sending Hugs and Love to you! Deb