Thing #2 - The girls and I are maxin' and relaxin' (and we haven't maimed each other yet) together.
Thing #3 - The girls and I are gearing up for our trip to Tampa, Fl...every day it's all "mom, what day is this and what day are we leaving and what does riding in a plane feel like and why do I need to chew gum when we take off and what happens if we lose our clothes and what if we get lost in FL and what are we gonna do when we get there and is there really a pool right by the beach and are there sharks in the ocean we'll be in?" And on and on...I think they might be excited :)
While we're 'passing' the time waiting to get on that plane, I scheduled a few long over due Dr visits for us...yeah me. First up, me. I'm not sure if all who read this know this about me, but I'm not one to complain about being in pain. As a matter of fact, I would much rather deal with it than bitch about it OR do anything about it above and beyond taking my standard 800-1600mgs of my friend the Ibuprofen everyday. So when I'm making an appointment for a surgery consult with the ortho Dr, you know it's serious.
Almost 6 years ago, I was involved in a car accident with 3 tiny baby girls in my jeep and a truck. I was at a standstill making a left hand turn right in front of a fast truck who didn't see it coming. Totally my fault about causing it AND my fault that my BFF's daughter wasn't wearing a seat belt, thank goodness she's forgiven me for that little oversight. Except for some cuts and bruises, I was the only one injured with a broke in half talles bone (fancy for broke the f up ankle). I spent 3 days in the hospital, surgery, 2 wks in a half cast, 4 wks in a purple cast and crutches/wheelchair, 2 wks in a walking boot and I was 'good as new'. Yeah, ok...5 1/2 years of cortisone shots that didn't work and I'm all I gotta get something done here. My ortho and I have been talking surgery for 4 years and I've (again being the non pain complainer) been to scared to do it...So today, I saw my wonderful ortho to tell him I've finally decided to go ahead and do the out patient surgery we've been talking years about and he didn't give me the news I was hoping for.
These are my options (p/s they suck): Option #1: I can wear a brace (um, no) or I can continue to have the cortisone shots that hurt like a B and wear off in 3 wks instead of the 6 months they're supposed to last. Option #2: My ortho can fuse my ankle and subtolor joint which will get rid of the pain but cause other problems in my lower foot AND I'll have a locked ankle. And last but not least...Option #3: I can have ankle replacement surgery in Iowa City. Huh...really. So, I have to have a CT scan tomorrow and then I have 3 wks to think about what I'm gonna do about this.
Allyson has an appointment tomorrow with her finger ortho (we're a mess in this house, huh?) to see about doing something with the finger she broke last October doing her scooter stunts in the street. It's straight up growing cricked and the bone is sticking out - something she JUST informed me of 2 wks ago. So, we'll see what he has to say tomorrow...we'll keep you posted for sure.
This afternoon we (including my BF and 2 of her kids) were at the Winterset pool havin' fun in the sun!! We had to work on our tans for Florida ;) To see the pictures taken, go HERE.
Thanks for checking in...
L
This xray was taken today, neat huh? When I went in I thought the wonderful Dr. Galles would tell me he would schedule me for out patient surgery to remove the screws and bone spurs that are causing me pain. Too bad it's not gonna be that easy of a fix.
No comments:
Post a Comment