Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I received a letter in the mail today....

From a former co-worker of Jeff's. It was very moving and I would like to 'read' it to you...

To the family of Jeff Young:

I worked with Jeff at AgLeader in the Tech Support Department. He was promoted to Software Development soon after I completed my internship during 1999, but in the months before he was my mentor. I was a farm boy from Eastern Iowa who hadn't been off the farm much and had no business experience whatsoever, but Jeff treated me with respect from day one. If I had a problem that I couldn't figure out, I talked to 'JYoung' as we called him. He was like a big brother - always looking out for me, teaching me how to communicate with customers in difficult situations, explaining in plain terms how the product we were supporting worked. The thing is, though, even though I felt like it, it's not like he treated me specially - he treated all of his coworkers in the Tech Support department with the same care, consideration and overall easy-going attitude. He took his job seriously - but could keep perspective when a customer or coworker got upset. He was a great calming influence when things got heated. He led by example - both with his words and his actions. To boil it down, Jeff cared about his customers, coworkers and his family. I wouldn't become a parent for several years after my time spent as a coworker, but the pride that he had when he talked about his young daughters and their antics made him a great role model for many of us that would become fathers in the future.

Once Jeff was promoted to the Software division we didn't see as much of him - but we knew he was on to bigger and better things. Everyone knew he deserved the promotion - I don't think anyone questioned it. He'd more than earned it. Those of us left in Tech Support knew we'd have a huge hole to fill with his promotion, and boy did we ever! He didn't walk away, though - he made sure his loyal callers had someone they could count on in Tech to take care of them (and I have a feeling he did continue to help out a fair share of them for the first year or so). His commitment to being there for those that had counted on him testifies to his character and convictions. He'd still stop over from time to time to see how things were going and talk about "the good old days"....His work ethic and attitude was instilled in some of us, and we went forward reminiscing how JYoung would finish a call, pick up the next and solve the problem in 60 seconds, pick up the next and get that caller going, all while responding to an email or ordering parts. He was sometimes referred to as "The Cleaner" - meaning there wasn't anyone that could do it as quickly and correctly as Jeff. He cleaned up the messes.

I left AgLeader in August 2002. In the years since, I haven't had as much contact with Jeff as I'd liked, but occasionally we'd send an email back and forth. I probably never told him how much of an influence he'd had on my personal development during the time I spent working with him in Tech Support. I sent him an email just to check in in early December and included a picture of my two boys in a combine cab. He responded in his usual fashion - laid back, used a line from when we were in Tech Support about the boys wanting to 'let 'er eat' (code for driving the combine). I couldn't help but smile and laugh. I also sent an email just last week asking about possible solutions to a complex problem on of my customers is facing. I figured - if anyone will know, The Cleaner will know. And he'll tell me straight up if there is no way it can be fixed too. I'll never get a response to that email....pretty hard to imagine that JYoung won't be around to help out...I'm so thankful that I had the chance to talk with him before these recent unfortunate events. I'll always remember Jeff as a great role model and teacher. He will be missed by so many.

(handwritten to me) Lesa: It's been years since I saw Jeff but he would always smile when he talked about you or the kids. He was a great role model.

I'm glad that other people saw what I saw in him - greatness. I'm just sorry that it took what happened for it to be said. I've said it before, but I'll say it again...What JY and I had was far from perfect, but we had everything a marriage should have (fights, stupid words and silence), but it worked for us and at the end of the day it was love. My heart hurts so bad for myself, for Emily and Allyson, for his parents/step-parents, his sisters, my parents, my sister and BIL, his nieces and nephews, his friends and for all of the people he touched. There is a giant void where he used to be and some days the pain is unbearable. On those days I can hear him telling me, 'L, pull it together, I'll pick you up if you need it, but I know you don't....'

Hug the one's you hold close. I'm sending out a ((hug)) to all of you reading this, because you are the one's I hold close.

Luv,
L

6 comments:

Shana Richardson said...

That was an awesome letter. I am not even remotely surprised by it, but amazed all the same! He was just that RARE gift. I feel like he is still here and it almost makes me angry to hear him talked about in "past tense". I don't know why!?
I just wanted to post a quick note and tell you TODAY that I love you and again how very sorry I am that this has happened to you and your family...and to EVERYONE who he made feel like they were his Best Friend! I think we all felt like that when it came to him! Love you babe. Give the girls a kiss and I will see you tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

What an AWESOME letter and as you said shows how much Jeff touched people not just family!!! it is always sad that we hear all these cool and great things after a person in gone. Guess as you said tell those you love you do, but also maybe remember to compliment and tell others about there good things too!!!Love and (((HUG))) Aunt Deb

Nance said...

what a sweet testimony to what you already know. Praise the Lord that some folks will take the time to put it into words, to write it down. Lesa, we are all there for you . . . articulate or not . . . from all the Mamas of the world

Anonymous said...

Lesa
Thanks for sharing that wonderful letter froms Jeff's co-worker. His letter just reminded us of what we already knew. Jeff was there and would figure out a way to get the job done, no matter what it took. I can still hear him talking about the girls after a meet and getting excited about something they had done that was to a higher level than before. He was always so proud of those girls. He will always be missed, but the memories will go on forever.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hey L!
I think I mentioned this last night, but I think it would be AWESOME to put stuff like this wonderful letter (letters & cards and such) in a scrap book or memory box for later in life. In my days (weeks, & months) of grieving after I lost my son, I spent many a days putting together a scrapbook that held thoughtful cards, memories of who came and visited, pictures and mementos. I still pull it out and look at it from time to time (yes, almost 10 years later) and it's very special to me. I haven't shared it with many people, but I bet that the girls will really cherish something like that as they get older and continue to miss their daddy. You and the girls can pull it out whenever you are especially sad or simply want to feel a little closer.

His memory will live on, in EVERYONE'S hearts, and this is just one more way to keep all of his memories strong for the girls (and for you).

I continue to be AMAZED at how strong you are and how well the girls are doing. Shows what a great mom you are, and Jeff's strength is now passed on to you. He will always take care of you, whether here on earth or from above. Know that he is always with you and the girls. He would be so proud of you babe!

Your family is wonderful gift. Do not be afraid to lean on them, as they would not have it any other way. Also-your friends are here for you, whatever your needs, big or small!!!!

All my love,
Your singstar groupie, SE

Anonymous said...

Dear Lesa,
The letter from Jeff's former co-worker is an awesome tribute to the person we both loved so much. Jeff was all about "tweeking"..making whatever he was working on "better". Our conversation at Easter time...do you remember...went like this: Jeff said: "I have a great idea for our Easter Egg hunt next Easter"............ I thought I had brought the 2008 Easter Egg Hunt to a brand new level, but there we were talking about how we could make it even better...."Tweeking" our Easter Egg Hunt....and "Tweek" we shall do at our Easter 2009. That was Jeff....always figuring out how to make things better. He had a rare and special talent and he figured it out and he used it "Living Life". Lesa, now he has passed the ball to us and asks us to "Live Life" with the same passion as he did. That is his gift to us. Someday when our Hearts are not so full of sadness, sorrow and pain we will receive Jeff's gift to us...he will let us wait...and when it is time, his gift will be there for the "tweeking".
I love you and the girls so much.
Hugs to you E and Cakes.
Deb